Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Comfort and Healing

"Lord, as our world reels because countless tragedies, I ask your great goodness to hasten the healing.

Death and desolation have robbed us of our joy and innocence. Suffering has touched every age level, from infants to the elderly.

Enter into every broken heart, Loving Father. Bring mercy, compassion, and wholeness.

Rising out of the ashes of destruction, let the people find new strength and determination to rebuild their lives."

"I do not belong to anyone now. Who will recall the stories of my birth? My first loose tooth? My first day at school? Who will tell me I'm special, perfect, and always welcome no matter what? God, reach out to me, a little child again, lost and frightened, and suddenly orphaned. I'm a marionette holding my own string, no one is on the other end. Stay with me until I fall asleep and be here, should I awake frightened. Let me be a child tonight. Tomorrow I'll try to be strong. But for now, Lord, find me, hold me."

"They also serve, who only stand and wait." John Milton

"O God, I know you will never give us a burden to bear without giving us the grace to endure it, but some burden just seem so heavy we find ourselves wondering if they can be survived. I ask that you fulfill your promise to send an abundant amount of strength and grace to all those who suffer so. Let them feel your presence in a very real way, Lord, for without you, they have no hope. I ask this in Jesus' name." Amen

"Lord, eyes fail, bones creak, and blood pressure soars, yet my mind refuses to the stereotype of old age. Help me to ignore the raised eyebrows of those who think I am too old for new opportunities.

Allow me, if I choose, to live out my days as if I had a lifetime still before me. I seek the comfort for your approval, Lord. The time may be short, but there is still much to accomplish."

Quotations from Prayers for life

No comments:

Post a Comment